When you need chocolate you NEED chocolate so it’s always a good idea to store some for those days when the craving hits hard. This is one of those recipes born out of desperation, during a particularly fierce chocolate craving I gathered up some baking supplies and whipped this up. To my surprise ( and relief) these bars came out amazing and are now my new favorite treat.
This recipe makes quite a lot especially if you cut them into 2 inch squares. Store them in a bag in the freezer for emergencies but remember to hide them behind the veggies so no one else eats them.
What you need
- 1 c dark chocolate chips ( Or carob to make this vegan!) plus a handful for good luck
- 1/2 c coconut oil
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal, you can get it in bulk at Winco for so cheap!
- 1 heaping tablespoon of fine ground coffee, espresso grind is best
- coarse sea salt
How to make it
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil together
- in a big bowl mix together rice krispies , ground coffee and melted chocolate mix until mostly coated
- throw in your handful of chocolate chips for good luck
- press into a baking dish lines with wax paper. I used a deep baking pan for bars but you can do a baking dish for thicker slices.
- Using a sheet of wax paper, press your bars into the dish gently to help it all stay together
- sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt
- put into the freezer for half hour to an hour until hardened
- cut into pieces and devour!