There is nothing better on a gloomy day than a hot bowl of stew and on days when I can’t breathe out of my nose and my sinuses feel like they might explode, I need a stew with a bit of a kick. I have been obsessing over smoked paprika lately so I put together this yummy southwestern stew featuring the bright red spice.
For this recipe I used a pound of leftover shredded ( unseasoned) chicken from taco night so if you don’t have cooked chicken on hand use chicken breast cut into tiny pieces and cook it up in a skillet with a bit of oil until just done.
What you need
- 1 pound of chicken, cooked
- 1 cup orzo
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 of a white onion, finely chopped
- 1 32 oz can of tomato sauce (plain, no spices)
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tbsp each of smoked paprika, new mexico chili powder, cumin, black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- salt to taste
How to make it
- Saute garlic & onion with a few tablespoons of olive oil until translucent
- add chicken & spices and cook for a few minutes until chicken is well coated in spices
- add tomato sauce, broth and orzo
- cook on medium heat for 20 minutes or until orzo is done
- add salt to taste
- serve with a dollop of sour cream and a warm tortilla
I swear this is delicious even though the photo does not do it justice. Remember how I said my camera sucks and probably also my photo taking abilities? Ya…well this is the best I could do but I promise you will love this and devour it and beg for seconds.
I picked up some forbidden rice at Winco mostly because it said forbidden and if someone says “don’t touch” or “you can’t” or “that’s forbidden” I want it more. I grabbed a few heaping scoops and felt very proud of myself for sticking it to the man or bulk bins or whatever and then I got home and realized I had no idea what to do with forbidden rice.
I had been giddy all day after seeing my other blog won 3rd place for best Utah blog for the second year in a row so I wanted to cook something quick and get back to happy dancing and such. After google told me that forbidden rice was not scary and actually was quite easy to make I decided to whip up some beans and rice with my favorite cumin sour cream.
This is a super easy and quick meal and nice and colorful to entice young ones. It also makes great leftovers wrapped up in a tortilla!I added some of my mung bean sprouts but that’s totally optional.
What you need
- 1 c forbidden rice
- 1 1/2 c chicken or veggie broth
- 1 can organic beans, i used red beans
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- Mung bean sprouts- optional I just like them
- 2 tbsp cumin
- handful of cilantro
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 lime
How to make it
- cook forbidden rice in chicken broth with a bit of salt & 1 tbsp cumin (http://howtocookrice.net/types-of-rice/forbidden-rice/_
- right before rice is done add beans and cook until excess liquid is gone
- in a pan saute peppers
- chop onion and cilantro
- in a bowl mix sour cream with 1 tbsp cumin
- Mix peppers and rice and beans
- top with onion, cilantro, sour cream and some lime