I love cream cheese and I love yogurt so it only seemed natural that I make yogurt cream cheese. A long time ago (back when I used to dig through the couch for change to buy kombucha) I would make my own yogurt to save money and use my home made yogurt to make cream cheese. I remember it being the most amazing cream cheese and I would hide it in the back of the fridge behind something gross so my roommates wouldn’t eat it.
With kids and dogs and life I have not been making my own yogurt but when I ran out of cream cheese and i wanted a bagel ( right now!) I remembered my once savvy ways and decided to whip up some of my favorite yogurt cream cheese. This only takes a day to make ( less if you are using a thick yogurt like Greek yogurt) and with some herbs it becomes a fancy shmancy party cream cheese!
What you need
- a mason jar
- cheese cloth
- 1 cup of yogurt
- salt & pepper to taste and a sprinkle of paprika
How to make it
- put your yogurt into a single layer of cheese cloth
- squeeze it gently to drain off some of the water
- take the lid off the mason jar and lay the cheese cloth & yogurt inside suspending it about halfway down the jar
- screw on the jar band leaving the top open
- put the jar in the fridge and let the excess water drain off
- The cream cheese will be soft but you will know it is done when you can form it into a ball with the cheese cloth
- add chives and spices to taste or eat it plain!
I was having a baked sweet treat craving, I wanted cupcakes or cake or pie or something warm out the oven…and then I realized I used the last of the flour to make baked donuts the other day. I tried eating a spoonful of honey but it didn’t do any good, I needed to bake and I needed to bake now.
Thanks to Google I found one treat I could make without flour, macarons! But, of course I only had a handful of almonds, could this baking misadventure get any worse. Finally I stopped pouting, put on my apron, and got to work. After a bit of experimenting I made these scrumptious almond & flax meal macarons with a yummy chocolate cream cheese filling.
These may not be the most beautiful designer macarons but when something tastes this good, you don’t need perfection. Perfect as a light snack or midnight sugar craving or really any time of the day…do you need an excuse for chocolate?
What you need:
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1 cup + 4 tbsp of powdered sugar for filling ( make it yourself it’s easy! sugar + corn starch in blender voila!)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder + 2 tbsp coco powder for filling
- 2 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp regular sugar
- 1/4 c cream cheese
- 3 tbsp milk
How to make it
- Put almonds and flax meal in a blender, blend until fine
- add powdered sugar and cocoa , blend for a few minutes until nice and fine like flour
- In a mixer or with a hand blender beat the egg whites until they rise and get fluffy and stiff
- beat in the regular sugar
- gently fold in the flour/sugar/cocoa mix
- fold until there are no egg white streaks
- put into a pasty bag or zip lock bag
- pipe the macarons onto a baking sheet lined in parchment paper, about a tbsp per cookie
- tap the baking pan to remove bubbles and flatten
- bake at 300 for for about 15 minutes
- remove from baking sheet right away so it wont overcook
- In a bowl mix together cream cheese, cocoa, milk and powdered sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy
- spread onto a cookie and top with another