Last night I made chicken and black bean tacos with a super yummy mango salsa and I couldn’t wait until lunch to eat leftovers. When I opened the fridge this afternoon I saw the saddest thing ever, and empty plate. Turns out the girl child had been sneaking pieces of chicken all morning and she had devoured the entire plate.
I was craving tacos so badly and I didn’t have any more meat around. And then I thought, who says tacos have to be made with meat? No matter how empty my fridge is there are always beets inside so I decided to fry some up and make some beet tacos. I added arugula for a bit of spice and avocado to make them creamier.
These were so good and when my dog decided to eat all the tortillas I tossed all the ingredients into a salad and it was just as delicious. These are super quick and easy so you won’t have to be in a hot kitchen long. If the kiddos want to help out let them assemble their own tacos!
*Makes 4 tacos
What you need
- 1 beet
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup of arugula
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground chilis
- 1 lime
- corn tortillas
- sea salt
How to make it
- In a frying pan heat up a couple tbsp of oil
- slice up the beets into thin slices
- put beets into the frying pan in hot oil and sprinkle with sea salt, cumin and chili powder
- Fry until edges are crisp
- toast tortilla on open stove flame or in a pan
- add beets, arugula, cilantro and avocado to tortilla and drizzle in lime
- for salad just toss all ingredients in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil