Our morning coffee ritual is a very important part of our marriedlife. Every morning my husband puts the kettle on, grinds coffee and brews a fresh cup in the french press and we enjoy our coffee together before the kids get up and he has to go to work. It is precious time we have together and of course the coffee is fantastic as well.
Some days I like to include my daughters in the ritual and when the kiddo wakes up we put on dresses and walk around the corner to our favorite neighborhood cafe for hot cocoa. These little moments are the ones I cherish the most so when father’s day rolled around I wanted to make our morning ritual just a bit more special.
My husbands absolute favorite food in all of the universe is blueberries. Any kind of blueberry concoction will do, pie is his favorite, fresh jam second best but my newest recipe might just be a new top fave.
Coffee cake is the perfect sweet treat to go with morning coffee and adding blueberries makes even better. This cake is super moist inside and crispy and sweet on the outside. The blueberries sink to the bottom creating a gooey layer of berry goodness. It is a nice light cake that wont weigh you down first thing in the morning
- 1/2 c vanilla yogurt, I like Nancy’s sweetened with honey
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbs real unsalted butter
- 2/3 c sugar
- 1 1/4 c flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 c FROZEN blueberries, you can use fresh but you might get a soggy cake, use frozen for best results
- For topping
- 1/4 cup each of butter, flour and sugar
How to make it
- preheat oven to 350
- in a mixer whip together butter and sugar
- add eggs and yogurt and whisk until completely blended
- in a separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda/powder and salt
- toss frozen blueberries in the flour until completely coated
- fold in wet mixture
- pour into a greased springform or cake pan
- for topping, crumble together flour, butter and sugar and sprinkle on top of cake batter
- bake for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown and a fork comes out clean.