I love cream cheese and I love yogurt so it only seemed natural that I make yogurt cream cheese. A long time ago (back when I used to dig through the couch for change to buy kombucha) I would make my own yogurt to save money and use my home made yogurt to make cream cheese. I remember it being the most amazing cream cheese and I would hide it in the back of the fridge behind something gross so my roommates wouldn’t eat it.
With kids and dogs and life I have not been making my own yogurt but when I ran out of cream cheese and i wanted a bagel ( right now!) I remembered my once savvy ways and decided to whip up some of my favorite yogurt cream cheese. This only takes a day to make ( less if you are using a thick yogurt like Greek yogurt) and with some herbs it becomes a fancy shmancy party cream cheese!
What you need
- a mason jar
- cheese cloth
- 1 cup of yogurt
- salt & pepper to taste and a sprinkle of paprika
How to make it
- put your yogurt into a single layer of cheese cloth
- squeeze it gently to drain off some of the water
- take the lid off the mason jar and lay the cheese cloth & yogurt inside suspending it about halfway down the jar
- screw on the jar band leaving the top open
- put the jar in the fridge and let the excess water drain off
- The cream cheese will be soft but you will know it is done when you can form it into a ball with the cheese cloth
- add chives and spices to taste or eat it plain!