Today was an absolute beautiful day! The sun was shining and we rolled in the grass and went on long walks, we ate cold things and got tans and for the first time it felt like summer. Yes, I know summer isn’t here yet and knowing Utah weather any day it could randomly snow at any time but for now I want to pretend we will have endless days of heat and sun and best of all picnics outside.
I have been saving up my cans of salmon for a nice day like this to make salmon patties over salad and picnic on the front porch. Of course today happened to be a limbo day when we are almost out of groceries but it isn’t grocery day yet so I had to get creative with my recipe. Usually I use bread crumbs, eggs and seasonings like any other sea food patty but I was out of eggs…and bread crumbs.
Luckily I was feeling pretty crafty and the recipe came out better than my original one and adding amaranth made it extra crisp and perfect. Try it out and see for yourself!
What you need
- 1 cup amaranth
- 3 c water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cans salmon
- 12 butter style crackers crushed into crumbs, I used THESE
- 2 tbsp flax soaked in 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- pinch of salt
- Organic salad mix of your choice, I used baby greens
- for dressing: 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, 1 tbsp honey 4 tbsp water
How to make it
- Cook amaranth with 3 c water and butter on med heat until amaranth is done and all the water is cooked out.
- in a bowl mix salmon Dijon mustard, flax, crackers, salt and amaranth. mixture should be thick and able to be pressed into patties , if not add more crackers.
- Grab a little bigger than golf ball size and press it into a round patty
- In a pan heat up oil of choice ( I used grape seed oil)
- cook until brown and crispy (amaranth will pop, don’t worry this is what makes it awesome), I cooked it for almost 15 minutes on each side because I like mine crisp.
- Serve over salad greens and drizzle with the honey Dijon mixture.