My sister recently went to Bahrain to visit her husband who is stationed there and as soon as I heard where she was heading I begged her to bring me back some spices. When my package arrived I knew right away that there was curry inside,it was so strong I could spell it before I opened the box!
It snowed today (really spring??!) and my daughter was sick and wanted soup. This coconut, ginger & curry carrot soup is the perfect gloomy day meal and it warms you up with a little bit of spice. The best part is that it is super easy and quick to make, just throw it all together, cook, purree! I topped mine with some Greek yogurt, try it!
Want to know a little trick when buying your coconut milk? Shake the can! Good coconut milk with a lot of the cream and goodness will be heavy and not make any noise when you shake the can and coconut milk that is mostly coconut water will slosh around.
I also made some roasted honey & curry chick peas to snack on, another quick and easy treat- yum!
*makes 6 servings, yay for leftovers!
What you need
- 8 carrots
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 yellow onion
- fresh ginger, a chunk the size of your thumb
- 3/4 c red lentils
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 c water
- 4 tbsp curry
- 2 tbsp honey
- salt to taste
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
How to make it
- in a pot put coconut oil, onions and garlic- cook for a couple of minutes
- add lentils, carrots, and spices and cook until onions are translucent
- add coconut milk and water and boil until lentils are done and carrots are tender
- put in a blender and puree with honey adding a bit of water or salt as needed
** to make the chickpeas just dry canned chick peas with a paper towel, toss with curry and honey and cook at 240 for about 45 minutes or until they are crisp!