I was on a picnic yesterday and my friend Kristin was listing off all the ingredients she needed to get for potato salad and before I knew it I was drooling. I love any southern comfort food but potato salad is my weakness. I have already given up hope that I will ever be able to make potato salad as good as my dads so I decided to come up with my own recipe.
I wanted to add beets to my potato salad mostly so I could have beet juice to dye some Easter eggs but also because ( if you haven’t noticed) I have a beet obsession. I didn’t quite think about the fact that the beets would turn the potato salad all the same shade of pink and was a bit disappointed when it looked a bit… homogeneous.
Despite the bright pink color of this potato & beet salad it was quite yummy and there was not single drop of leftovers. It looks like this will be a recipe to go in my “family favorites” folder!
What you need
- 5 red potatoes
- 2 beets
- 1/5 c Greek yogurt, I used Nancy’s Greek yogurt
- 1/4 lemon juice
- 1/2 red onion
- 3 stalks of celery
- 2 tbsp dried or fresh dill
- 1 tbsp paprika
- salt to taste
How to make it
- In separate pots boil the beets and potatoes
- while those are cooking in a large bowl add yogurt, lemon juice, onion, celery, dill and salt to taste
- drain potatoe and beet, rinse beets with water and drain again
- add potatoes to dressing and gently mix
- add beets and mix again
- sprinkle with paprika and more salt if needed
- cover and put in the fridge for an hour to cool or serve warm