I swear this is delicious even though the photo does not do it justice. Remember how I said my camera sucks and probably also my photo taking abilities? Ya…well this is the best I could do but I promise you will love this and devour it and beg for seconds.
I picked up some forbidden rice at Winco mostly because it said forbidden and if someone says “don’t touch” or “you can’t” or “that’s forbidden” I want it more. I grabbed a few heaping scoops and felt very proud of myself for sticking it to the man or bulk bins or whatever and then I got home and realized I had no idea what to do with forbidden rice.
I had been giddy all day after seeing my other blog won 3rd place for best Utah blog for the second year in a row so I wanted to cook something quick and get back to happy dancing and such. After google told me that forbidden rice was not scary and actually was quite easy to make I decided to whip up some beans and rice with my favorite cumin sour cream.
This is a super easy and quick meal and nice and colorful to entice young ones. It also makes great leftovers wrapped up in a tortilla!I added some of my mung bean sprouts but that’s totally optional.
What you need
- 1 c forbidden rice
- 1 1/2 c chicken or veggie broth
- 1 can organic beans, i used red beans
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- Mung bean sprouts- optional I just like them
- 2 tbsp cumin
- handful of cilantro
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 lime
How to make it
- cook forbidden rice in chicken broth with a bit of salt & 1 tbsp cumin (http://howtocookrice.net/types-of-rice/forbidden-rice/_
- right before rice is done add beans and cook until excess liquid is gone
- in a pan saute peppers
- chop onion and cilantro
- in a bowl mix sour cream with 1 tbsp cumin
- Mix peppers and rice and beans
- top with onion, cilantro, sour cream and some lime