Sping is near..ish…right? It was so sunny and warm here for a bit and then last night I woke up to thunder and lightening and snow. Luckily it looks like it is all melting and in the distance I can see blue skies. I really wanted to make something colorful and spring-like for breakfast today and after seeing this photo I knew I needed to make something with chard.
I was going to make an omelet but when I saw the mounds of laundry I had to do I decide to make something that I could throw in the oven and let cook while I got started on Mt.allthelaundryever. This recipe is super easy and gooey and cheesy deliciousness. We ate ours with grapefruit drizzled in honey and tall glasses of lemon water by the sunniest window in the house.
Try this with any dark leafy green and cheese for a yummy filling and healthy breakfast!
* makes breakfast for 2
What you need
- 3 chard leaves
- About a palm full of basil leaves
- 4 eggs separated
- 1/4 c grated mozzarella cheese , or any cheese you like
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
How to make it
- in a food processor or blender add basil, chard and olive oil
- process until it looks like pesto
- add egg yolks and salt and pulse a few times until eggs are mixe din
- add mixture to a bowl
- in a separate bowl beat egg whites until fluffy
- fold in egg whites and cheese
- add to 2 small ramekins or a muffin tin
- cook for 10-15 minutes until cheese begins to bubble out of ramekin