My absolute favorite chocolate bar of all time is definitely Theo’s coconut curry bar , it is sweet and spicy and creamy and just perfect. I wanted to make baklava but I also wanted that sweet spicy combo and suddenly it came to me…why don;t I just add curry and chocolate to my baklava? After harassing all of my friends to see if this was a good idea or a horrifying idea I finally decided to make it.
I really wanted to add coconut to this but my daughter recently decided that coconut is gross and refuses to eat it, I suppose I could have added it anyway so I could hoard all the treats to myself but I decided that might be mean. Next time however I am adding coconut and little miss can just start liking coconut like the rest of the universe or miss out on yum.
These came out so yummy which sadly meant that they were gone in 10 minutes. As I am writing this post I am desperately craving a bite and there isn’t anymore phyllo in the house…le sigh. These are wonderful with coconut bliss ice cream or coffee!
Makes a 9 x 9 pan of 9 pieces of baklava
What you need
- 1 package of phyllo dough sheets or home-made if you are feeling awesome
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- about 1/4 c chocolate I used Newmans own organics dark chocolate bar
- 1 c honey
- 2 tbsp curry
- 1/4 c melted coconut oil
How to make it
- cut phyllo sheets to size of dish
- grind hazelnuts in processor just a tad, don’t grind to powder
- chop chocolate into pieces
- layer 8 slices of phyllo, brushing coconut oil between each slice
- sprinkle chocolate & hazelnut on phyllo
- layer 8 sliced, repeat until the pan is filled
- mix honey & curry
- cut baklava into squares and pour half the honey over it
- bake at 300 until brown on top
- pour rest of honey over top