I have been craving fish & chips, not just craving either I have been dreaming about it. I didn’t want to use my pricey salmon on a deep fried dish and really I just couldn’t handle the grease either. My tummy has been a lot more sensitive since cutting out overly processed foods and I knew if I ate anything deep fried I would be sick for days.
My daughter suggested just making fries for lunch but I was saving the potatoes for my annual St.Patrick’s day calconnan dinner. Finally we both agreed that zucchini fries sounded like the best thing ever and if I made an old bay dip , it might just satisfy my fish & chips craving.
Not only did this recipe satisfy my east coast food craving but it was surprisingly like fish & chips, I mean it even kind of tastes like fish because of the old bay! This was so yummy and easy to make and the kiddo had a lot of fun helping and getting her hands messy. Next time I am making it for dinner so I can have a pint of beer too, I think then my craving will be truly satisfied.
What you need
- 3 C panko
- old bay
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 c flour
- 2 zucchini
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 cup of olive oil/grape seed (or veggie oil of choice) mixed
How to make it
- with a hand blender or in an electric mixer put 2 egg yolks and a tsp of mustard
- turn on mixer and whip up eggs for a few seconds
- slowly and the juice of half of your lemon
- slowly add the oil mixture until the aioli thickens
- put it into a bowl and mix in 1 tbsp old bay with a spoon
- put into the fridge to cool until the fries are done
- cut zucchini into wedges
- put wedges into a bag with the flour and a and let the kiddo shake it up until the zucchini is coated
- in a bowl whisk together 2 eggs
- in another bowl add panko & a bit of salt
- dip the zucchini one by one into the egg then into the bowl of panko and coat
- put on a lightly oiled pan
- sprinkle the zucchini fries with old bay
- cook at 350 for about 20 minutes until the panko is crisp on the edges and a fork goes through the zucchini smoothly
Squeeze some lemon on the fries and serve!