My friend Shae just came back from a trip to Austin, Texas raving about a frozen yogurt hemp seed amazing parfait concoction. I knew as soon as she described it that I had to have one so I set out to try to make one myself. I didn’t want a sweet dessert but a super food parfait sounded like the perfect breakfast.
The great thing about a parfait is that you can literally put ANYTHING you want into it, whatever you have on hand! I happened to have a ton of dried fruit, nuts and grains on hand since I just did our monthly shopping haul at Winco. This was a little labor intensive this first time around since I made home-made coconut whipped cream, frozen banana puree and raw cashew butter from scratch but now that I have them on hand it will go a lot quicker tomorrow and the next day and the next. Yup, this is now my go to breakfast treat and I just can’t get enough.
Here are the ingredients I used but feel free to mix it up anyway you want with different fruits, nuts or grains! Let me know how you made your super food parfait! Next time I am going to try a green parfair by adding some spinach or kale to the banana puree and maybe some mango when it’s in season!
*The night before or at least 4 hours prior to making this put your bananas and can of coconut milk in the freezer if you are using them
What I used
- Yogurt- I used Nancy’s vanilla yogurt
- 1 can of coconut milk
- home-made raw cashew butter , just throw some cashews and a tiny bit of water in a food processor, voila!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup of blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 frozen bananas pureed
- handful of almonds, crushed
- a few tablespoons date pieces
- a few tablespoons dried cranberries
How to make it
- Cook quinoa with half the can of coconut milk plus 1 cup water and a few tablespoon sweetener of choice, I used honey.
- when done add chia seeds to quinoa and let cool
- In an electric mixer ofr with a hand blender whip the rest of the coconut milk with a bit of tapioca powder and honey
- put it in the freezer until your parfait is complete
- in a bowl or glass layer the quinoa, yogurt, berries, banana puree, cashew butter and dried fruit
- top with coconut whipped cream and crushed almonds