My favorite part of cooking and sharing recipes is using local ingredients and knowing my yummy dish is supporting a local family. Beehive cheese is hands down one of my favorite local businesses to support, their cheeses are incredible and they have won several international awards. One of my favorite flavors is the apple walnut smoked cheese, it is perfect for any savory dish and my favorite dish to put it in is quiche.
Once upon a time I thought quiches were processed cheese filled , greasy pies you devoured at family reunions and potlucks and then one day someone made me a fresh herb quiche. Mind…blown. I have no idea why I ever bothered to look up quiche recipes or try to make a healthier version sooner. lesson learned, don’t judge food by a potluck.
Thankfully the past 6 years I have been in quiche heaven and I now eat quiche at least every couple of weeks. My favorite quiches are the simplest ones and this one was a hit with the kiddo. The girl child LOVES beets, not because of their awesome flavor but solely because they turn her food hot pink.
This quiche is super easy to make and has very few ingredients so it is perfect for those lazy late mornings when all you want to do is throw a few ingredients together and be done. I let my daughter help me make the crust in this one since the baby decided she must be held in the sling, I think it turned out lovely considering a 5-year-old made it!
What you need:
- 5 eggs, I used the beautiful eggs from my friends hens in the photo above
- 4 tablespoons half & half
- 2 tablespoons yogurt, I used nancy’s organic
- 1 beet sliced thin
- 1/4 C grated and some chunks of beehive apple walnut cheese or any cheese you prefer but this smokey flavor is really amazing.
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 C + 1 tablespoon butter or all natural margarine, I used Smart balance
- 3-4 tablespoons cold water
- salt and pepper to taste
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 275
- Saute beet slices until a bit sift
- Mix flour with a pinch of salt
- Add smart balance and blend with your hands until crumbly
- Add a little bit of water at a time until you can form the dough into a ball
- Roll out and place crust in a pie dish
- Fold edges over and trim off excess dough and set aside
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, half & half and yogurt until nice and fluffy
- Add grated cheese and gently mix
- Gently pour into pie dish with crust
- Add cheese chunks
- Place beet slices on top
- Cook for 20 minutes until top is firm and cheese bubbles a little