I have had a vintage crock pot for years but I only started using it recently and every time I finish an easy and delicious meal, I kick myself for not using it sooner. On days when I have piles of laundry and cranky kiddos the crock pot is a life saver.
Beet chili is so yummy (and pretty) and with chicken added it is a hearty filling meal. This is great for those people who think they hate beets (dad I am talking about you!) and it is a great way to add some extra vitamins to chili. This recipe calls for lentils but I have also used quinoa in the past for extra protein and it was just as yummy! For a vegetarian version just omit the chicken!
A lot of people say to use gloves while working with beets but personally I love when my hands get stained pink and really it does come off with soap and water. When I cut off the beet tops I give them to my daughter to make pretty beet art with and usually she ends up covered in hot pink beet juice. A couple baby wipes later and she is all clean!
What you need
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast ( omit for vegetarian version)
- 4 large beets
- 1 can organic pinto beans
- 1 can organic kidney beans
- 1 cup red lentils ( or quinoa for extra protein)
- 2.5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 2 tsp cracked red pepper
- salt to taste
- sour cream, I like Nancy’s
How to make it
- cook chicken breast in a tablespoon of olive oil until it is nice and done, chop into pieces and add to crock pot
- chop beets and onions and add to crock pot with minced garlic
- add cans of beans and lentils
- add chicken or veggie broth
- add seasonings
- turn crock pot on high for 1 hour, med for 1.5 hours, or low for 2 hours
- make sure lentils are nice and soft
- serve with a dollop of sour cream!