My daughter woke up with a case of the sniffles and whineys and I wanted to cheer her up a little. One of her favorite movies is Ponyo and I usually make her a Ponyo lunch when she is feeling down.
Today I was making a crock pot of beet chili and since I had an extra beet I decided to experiment a bit with tinting her udon noodles pink. She was quite excited when her lunch came out all pink and pretty and she ate 3 bowls and was back to her chipper self in no time.
Ponyo lunch is always easy to make and this beet broth udon lunch is just as easy. It is a quick way to get a full belly and a good excuse to pull out those chopsticks you never get to use. The best part of this lunch is that you can really add anything you like- edamame, chicken, ham or even leeks. Be creative!
What you need
- udon noodles
- 1 organic beet, peeled
- handful of organic spinach
- 2 cups organic chicken broth
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
How to make
- Chop beet into chunks and boil in chicken broth until soft but still a bit hard, you don’t want them to mush up
- In another pot boil udon until tender, I usually put the eggs in with the udon to cook as well to save time, drain and rinse in cold water
- Put udon in a bowl and pour beet and chicken broth over
- Add spinach and let wilt
- Top with beet chunks and hard-boiled egg sliced in half