When my lovely friend Stevi (from the MissStevi Marie Etsy shop) announced that her Araucana and Barred Rock hens had laid some pretty eggs, I jumped at the opportunity to get a few. Within an hour Stevi was at my house with a dozen of the most beautiful eggs I have ever seen. I almost felt bad cracking them open and my daughter insisted on examining and photographing every single one before they were consumed. Seriously, look how beautiful these eggs are!
Of course I wanted to go right into the kitchen to make something with these eggs and since It was time for brunch, a galette seemed perfect. Galettes are incredibly easy to prepare and you can make it either sweet or savory. I love to make these for breakfast to make a simple egg dish a bit more filling.
This galette is perfect for any meal and you can add any veggies, meats or cheeses you like. I love to use gouda cheese because it bubbles up and gets a bit crisp on top, yum! The best part is that the kiddos can easily put together their own galette creation which makes them more likely to finish their meal.
What you need:
- 1 C whole wheat flour
- 1/3 REAL butter or a vegetable margarine like smart balance
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2-3 tablespoons cold water
- handful of organic spinach
- 1 chicken sausage, I like al fresco all natural
- Gouda cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white to brush crust
- salt & pepper
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 275
- In a bowl mix flour and baking powder
- Cut in butter with a your hands until it is crumbly
- Add cold water little by little until it sticks ( you might not need it all)
- Put on a floured surface and knead for 3 minutes
- Roll out and place on a baking pan
- Brush entire crust with olive oil
- Place spinach on crust and top with cheese and sausage
- Fold crust over toppings to create a crust and brush with egg whites
- Crack 2 eggs on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Place in oven and cook for 15 minutes, checking now and then to make sure not over cook eggs.
Serve with a light salad and enjoy!