Most mornings we wake up in our puppy pile with feet in faces and legs tangled up and we wipe our eyes and decide not to make breakfast. Usually we grab an orange and a cup of coffee or cocoa and hang out until the papa has to go to work and then brunch comes around and we make our loaded peanut butter, banana and honey sandwiches.
We aren’t morning people, at least the girls of the house are not morning people and we need a few hours to adjust to daylight. Some mornings, like this morning, I wake up with extra energy and want a hot meal and so we turn on music and all crowd into our teeny tiny kitchen to cook.
This morning baby Scout wanted to be held in the sling and the girl child Hunter wanted to see everything I was doing and with only one free hand I needed something quick and easy to make. My sweet potatoes were being neglected on the counter and we all agreed hash browns are the best thing ever. This recipe is very quick to make and for all you mamas you can indeed make it one-handed although ( as I discovered) your eggs might not look as pretty as usual.
Sweet potato hash & egg for 2
What you need:
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 potato
- 3 eggs
- Chopped parsley
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or oil of choice
How to make it:
- Use a cheese grater or mandolin to shred the potatoes
- Sprinkle with salt and place in a clean dish towel or cheese cloth
- Squeeze out as much water as you can
- Place in a bowl and mix with 1 egg and salt and pepper
- Heat skillet with coconut oil on MED heat
- Split into 2 and form into ball or squeeze it in your hand
- Press down onto a hot skillet
- Use a spatula to press down and cook for 5-8 minutes on each side
- Cook egg over medium and place on hash brown
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve